Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hungry for Dinner

I'm at work. It's 5:38pm and I am hungry. It's the kind of hungry that demands attention: 'FEED ME! FEED ME NOW!!!!' it shouts in a way that only I can hear. Thursdays and Fridays, I work at My Beloved's company and am therefore reliant upon him to decide when we get to leave. At present he is tapping away furiously trying to fix some morsel of code or another, while I am increasingly obsessed with morsels of a wholly different nature.

For dinner tonight I am planning to make some un-KFC. Some cruelty-free fried chicken - CFFC? - with the tofu I liberated from the freezer this morning. Of all the possible junk foods of my pre-vegan days, fried chicken is the one I would confess to missing. It is not the chicken flesh I miss - that thought is appalling to me now - but the crispy, salty, spiced coating. So last night I froze 1lb of extra-firm tofu (which should now be thawed now) as I've heard that this is a neat trick to make tofu more chewy. Using cayenne, black pepper, oregano, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pehaps a little paprika, and some cornstarch and breadcrumbs, I am hoping to approximate the 'KFC' coating and dish it up with a hearty serving of sauteed vegetables - peppers, onions, baby corncobs, broccoli, peas, carrots and parsnips. OK, so 'extra-crispy chicken thighs and fries' it is not, but a healthier solution it is - for me and for the animals!

Watch this space: if the un-KFC experiment turns out well (fingers crossed!) I will post pictures as soon as possible!

Stay Vegan, Friends!

2 comments:

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

OK, as an update: the un-chicken was absolutely delicious. But the dang batteries in the camera were dead, so no proof exists of this. :( Will make it again and be sure, this time, to be prepared - camera-wise!