Wednesday, October 15, 2008

MoFo Wednesday

Sad to say, I am not above the influence. The influence, that is, of brightly coloured, pretty packaging of the eye-catching variety, enveloping what is sure to be a sinfully delightful treat.

Unless, of course, those treats are Not Vegan, and then I barely notice them at all.

Or unless they contain vegan, but yucky, ingredients, like...oh...spirulina, perhaps.

And so it was with a certain level of bemusement that I found myself inexplicably drawn to Betty Lou's Northshore Smackers. Specifically the Chocolate Spirulina Patties.



Whaaaa?

Yes,it's true.

The friendly, bright yellow packet enticed me and I succumbed to its wiles.

And I am sooooooo glad I did. The patty tastes like it should be a 'naughty' treat, but is actually not too bad for you. Four grams of protein, 180 calories and 0 cholesterol (of course!) make this a nice little pick-me-up on a Wednesday afternoon.

Try one - you might surprise yourself and actually LIKE spirulina!

Stay Vegan Friends!

PS: In case you're interested, here are the ingredients as listed on the packet:

Organic Dark Chocolate (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Chocolate Liquor, Organic Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Organic Vanilla), Organic Almond Butter, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Agave Syrup, Organic Oats, Organic Brown Rice Crisp (Organic Brown Rice, Sea Salt, Organic Brown Rice Syrup), Organic Gum Acacia, Organic Spirulina (1000 mg per serving), Organic Flavors, Organic Sesame Seeds, Organic Rice Protein Concentrate, Sea Salt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smackers! They are very good! The first time I bought one, I thought they were called Snackers, which I think is a better name. But then, they do smack of deliciousness so I guess that works too!

I wish I had one right now. One or maybe two. Thank you for reminding me about them!