Monday, February 16, 2009

When is a mousse not a mousse?

I am feeling distinctly under the weather. My Beloved has been battling the same thing for approx. a week now and, since one of my managers at work is also ill, I guess it was inevitable that I would come down with it. So, given that I have spent much of the day in bed, I thought I would post something light and fluffy to cheer myself up.

Lemon mousse, to be specific.

I have long wanted to create a vegan equivalent of those light and airy mousses I used to enjoy back when I ate dairy and eggs and this weekend My Beloved spotted a gorgeous raspberry mousse on the menu and could not resist. Settling for a rich dark coffee instead, I mused at how I might some day render this sweet treat cruelty-free.

So yesterday, just before the flu started to settle in, I tried out a recipe for lemon mousse which turned out delish but distinctly un-moussy. More like a pudding, in fact.



I don't yet have too much experience with pudding-type desserts, being more of a baker, but I really want to try to expand my repertoire and the recipe - which uses all of six ingredients - seemed like an easy way in. Here's what you do....

Take the following:

1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c soymilk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 package (12 oz) silken tofu, drained

and
1. Place the sugar, soymilk and cornstarch in a saucepan and whisk until combined.
2. Heat gently until the mix comes to a simmer and starts to thicken.
3. Add in the lemon juice and stir well to incorporate.
4. Place the drained tofu into a food processor and pour in the sweetened lemon-soymilk mixture.
5. Process until an even and creamy texture is reached, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally to re-capture any tofu escapees!
6. Spoon into martini glasses and allow to cool. Chill and eat when you just can't stand it anymore!


Now, the amounts listed actually make four portions, but being the greedy vegan I am, I made only two.....Hmmmm....mistake! My Beloved and I shared one last evening and it really was too big. Try to resist making the super-sized portions that I made....your thighs will thank you!

It really isn't terribly mousse-like, so I guess my little experiment failed. But I will persist and perhaps next time come out with something closer to light and airy than to rich and creamy. But when failure tastes this good, I say 'Bring it on!'

Oh, and lastly...why not dress it all up a little with a shot of Limoncello and a few fresh blueberries.....oh mama!



Yummmmm.....



Eat well, stay well and stay vegan, friends! :)

No comments: