Sunday, January 17, 2010

Yeah, I made cookies...so bite me!

There are three wonderful men in my life - one human and two non-human. Today I baked cookies for them all - well, everyone needs a cookie now and again. So the pups got a batch of 'Peanut Butter Bite-Me' cookies which are a slight adaptation from a recipe in K-9 Nation Biscuit Book (as featured a couple of posts ago). They are basically a PB & J for pups and this is how they go....

You will need:

1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 cups wholewheat flour
3/4 cup rolled barley
1 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp jam - I like strawberry
2 tbsp fruit juice

OK, let's bake!

1. Pre-heat your oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flours and the rolled barley
3. In a measuring jug combine the water, olive oil and the peanut butter. I popped mine in the microwave for about a minute to warm the peanut butter a little and make it easier to combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently.
5. Add the jam of your choice and the fruit juice and mix until a supple dough forms.
6. Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut into shapes
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden-brown and firm to the touch.


The oddest thing happened - when they emerged from the oven, some of the cookies were pre-tasted, ready-nibbled you might say, as this close up quite clearly indicates...




Hmmm....hence I dubbed them 'Bite Me' cookies!





Moving on....the cookies for My Beloved were also a slightly adapted recipe, this time from Isa's new book, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. Since My Beloved is not partial to nuts, I switched out the macadamia requirement of the Macadamia-Ginger Crunch Drops (in the 'Drop Cookies' section - page 57, I think) and substituted vegan white chocolate chips instead.

Here's how they looked right out of the oven:





You have to let them cool 5 mins on the baking tray before transferring them to a cooling rack so I had time to get a shot. Then, once completely cooled, I managed to snap a few close-ups - well, you gotta have cookie close-ups, right?




More? More!




White chocolate and ginger-y goodness...what's not to love?

Stay vegan, friends! :)

No comments: