Wednesday, October 8, 2008

MoFo for Wednesday: The Utter Deprivation of the Vegan Lifestyle

Well, I struck out on the rhubarb, sadly. Everywhere I turned at the FarMar there were squash, squash and more squash, so I bought a couple...four, in fact....and am thinking about what to do with them. Two were acorn squash, one a butternut (which never fails to make my giggle in a most juvenile way) and the last was a Blue Hubbard squash, which kind of look like a deformed smurf head. Pictures will come later.

However, having commited to making a rhubarb bread, and having no rhubarb, I decided to try out the 'sister recipe' from How It All Vegan: Apricot Bread. Oh man, am I glad I did.

The original recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of nuts (your choice) but since My Beloved is not a nut fan, I decided to swap these out with 1/2 cup diced dried pineapple instead. The combo of the pineapple, diced dried apricot and the cup of fresh orange juice makes this treat heavenly. Would you just look at this golden-brown loveliness?.....



And it sliced delightfully - just look at that crumb....



And I simply could not confine myself to one lonely slice. Damn, I'll never be thin....



But I will always be vegan. And I will always laugh (surreptitiously) at those who say that veganism is about abstinence and deprivation. Bring it on, says I!

Stay Vegan, Friends!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmm, looks delicious

Jen Treehugger said...

That looks soooo good!