Wednesday, October 29, 2008

MoFo Wednesday: Back to my Roots......

It's time for some dietary sanity.

Cheesecake??
Truffles??????

No wonder I'll never be skinny. Bah!

And so, last night, My Beloved and I returned to our roots.
No, not fish and chips and jam butties* but roots - root vegetables.

Now that the weathter's turned decidedly nippy, I am newly possessed by the need to roast things. Fortunately for all I am restricting myself to things within the Plant Kingdom...such as sweet potatoes, parsnips and carrots. Thus:




Peeled, chopped and tossed with some olive oil, salt, black pepper, rosemary and a few whole cloves of garlic, they went into the oven at around 375 for about 40 minutes and came out looking like this.



Although relegated to the status of a 'side dish', they paired really nicely with the samosa-stuffed baked potatoes (from the Vcon) and some simple couscous.



There were enough roasted roots and couscous for lunch today, which put a smile on my face and a grimace on those of my colleagues. Whole roasted garlic cloves...how to win friends and influence people....!

;)

Stay Vegan, Friends!


* Being Brits, fish and chips was a staple in our pre-vegan lives and 'jam butties' is not nearly as excitingly rude as it sounds - it simply means a jelly sandwich. So there!

2 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Roasted veggies are the best ain't they!!
I love the sweetness that roasting brings out in them.
Lovely meal!

Bex said...

roasted roots are the best (and those samosa potatoes aren't bad either)