Monday, April 27, 2009

Simplicity, humility and plain humanity

Today was crazy at work so I had to limit myself to ambling around just one blog and the one I plumped for was www.vegansoapbox.com. There is always something interesting, sometimes heartbreaking, usually insightful and often uplifting to be read there and today was no exception.

The following is a post by Eccentric Vegan and I love its simplicity, humility and plain humanity. Enjoy....


I’m Not Perfect, Just Vegan


I’m not perfect.
I ate fishes for another two years before I realized fish felt pain too.
I ate eggs and dairy for decades before I realized just how easy it is to be vegan.

I even understood the logic behind veganism: that every dairy cow is destined for slaughter, that calorie for calorie eggs are one of the most cruel foods you can eat, that male chicks and male dairy calves are killed very near the beginning of their lives, that dairy cows are forcefully impregnated, given hormones, steroids, and antibiotics, and most importantly, that animals are not tools for human use...yet I didn’t go vegan.

See, I tried going vegan once before, but it felt too difficult. I had trouble finding food, finding support, finding good information. It was just too much trouble.

Once I got my priorities straight, once I felt safe to be the person I wanted to be, once I felt supported to live my values… I went vegan. And I stayed vegan.

Sometimes doing the right thing takes practice.

But no, I’m not perfect. I eat too much sugar. I drink too much coffee. I used to smoke cigarettes. I don’t exercise often enough. I don’t say “sorry” often enough. I don’t say “thank you” often enough. I can be petty and mean.

I’m not perfect.
I’m not superior to you.
I’m just vegan,
and i think you should be too.


***********************************

For the original post, click here and show Eccentric Vegan some love!

Stay vegan, friends!

No comments: