Sunday, February 22, 2009

And now for something 'a little different'....

Since I have been struggling this past week with a bad dose of the 'flu, I have not felt too much like cooking, writing about cooking or even really thinking about food. However, yesterday I started to feel a mite more like my old self and decided to pull out a few stops and 'Make Dinner'. Not only that, I thought I would document it for your delectation and delight!

My Beloved fancied something 'a little different' and to my surprise he chose a recipe from Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan that combined sweet elements - in this case dried apricots - in a savory entree: Moroccan-Infused Vegetable Phyllo Rolls

This is what I started with.....



Loads of fresh produce, a can of chickpeas and some filo/phyllo dough


And once the vegetables were chopped they lined up glamourously like this:



From left to right the cast is as follows:

orange pepper, red pepper, yellow squash, onions, dried apricots, fennel bulb...and some whole cloves of garlic hiding shyly in the top left of the board.


In essence, this is a really easy recipe, but there *are* a couple of stages to get through so it's probably not a week-night option. First, you have to chop the veg and then collect together some seasonings to roast them in:



Headlining here are powdered ginger, cumin seeds, cinnamon, paprika, salt and black pepper.


Toss all of these into a large bowl along with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and combine well. Add in the chopped veg and make sure they get nicely coated. Roast on 425 for about 30 mins.

When they're done, mix them with a cup of chickpeas and about a half cup of freshly torn basil leaves. Now the mix will look somewhat like this:



Now the fun part: reduce the oven temperature to 375 and take your first sheet of filo/phyllo dough and brush it lightly with some olive oil. Place another sheet on top and repeat the process until you have about 6 sheets all stacked up.

Then take some of your mix and place it along the length of the dough sheets, folding it up burrito-style. I find it easiest to start with the long edge closest to you and fold the sides in gently as you roll this into a strudel shape. You can seal the final edge with a little olive oil if you like.

Place roll gently - seam-side down - onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and then brush the top lightly with olive oil so that it will brown nicely. I made one roll per person, but I am greedy so you could probably get by on one roll per couple. (But who wants to just 'get by'....I ask you!!!!)



OK, so when you have all of your rolls in a row, bake them for about 25-30 minutes until they are a gorgeous golden brown color and piping hot inside.


A glory shot courtesy of My Beloved who just wanted me to hurry up so he could get his tastebuds around this little lot!

So, I served them with garlic smashed potatoes and garlic-soy green and waxed beans. Oh and a nice glass of chardonnay. Perfect!



Plus a poached pear with vanilla ice-cream for dessert.....



...by god, the SHEER DEPRIVATION of the vegan lifestyle!
Ho Ho! ;)

Eat well and stay vegan, friends!

PS......watch this space for something else exciting to do with pears....coming soon! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love EDBV, it is one of my favorite cookbooks. I have yet to try this particular recipe but you made it look awfully good! =)